Today is National Cream Tea Day, and what could be better than sitting outside in the glorious sunshine enjoying some freshly made scones?
Here is one of my grandmother’s recipes for the perfect scone.
225g Self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
25g Caster Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and then milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured work surface and knead very lightly, pat out the dough so that it is about 2cm thick. Using a 5cm cutter, cut the dough into circles and place on the baking sheet. Continue this process until all the dough is used.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg and bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with jam and clotted cream. Enjoy!