Tonight it is one of the big matches with England playing Belgium. Here are some ideas for what you could make to watch the match with.
English Mini Pork Pies
600g shortcrust pastry
Little flour, for dusting
85g dried white breadcrumbs
400g Cumberland sausage (about 6)
200g Smoked bacon lardon
1 1/2 tsp Mace
1 1/2 tsp Ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp Dried sage
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with a thin strip of baking parchment, make sure that there is an about 1-2cm overlay.
- Roll out 2/3 of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and stamp out twelve 10cm circles. Press each one of these into the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of breadcrumbs into the base of each pie. Tip the rest of the crumbs into a mixing bowl. Skin the sausages and place the meat, bacon, mace, pepper, sage and a little salt into the bowl. Using your hands, or spoon if preferred, mash and mix everything together until breadcrumbs have disappeared.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and stamp out twelve 7cm circles. Brush with a little egg, place the lid egg side down to stick. Brush with more egg, do not throw the remaining egg away.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Once out of the oven, carefully remove using the overlayed parchment ends to help. place them on a parchment lined baking tray, brush with the remaining egg and place in the oven for a further 8 minutes until completely golden.
- Leave to cool completely and serve.
Belgian Mint Brownies
100g Caster sugar
100g Self-raising flour
15g Unsweetened cocoa powder
100g Belgium chocolate
1 tsp peppermint essence
50g Mint Belgian chocolate thins, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Line and grease a square 8.5×8.5 tin.
- Melt the margarine with the chocolate on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl put in the caster sugar, self-raising flour and cocoa in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk the eggs and then stir in peppermint essence. Once the chocolate and butter has melted, leave to cool slightly else the egg will scramble.
- Add the egg to the chocolate, mix well. Then add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour half of the brownie mix into the tin and sprinkle the crushed mint thins on top. Pour the remaining brownie mix on top.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely and serve.