Portugal v Morocco kicks off the games today. Here are some recipes you could try!
Espetadas – Portuguese beef shish kababs
¾ cup red wine
8 cloves garlic
6 bay leaves
2 tablespoons salt
3 pounds beef sirloin steak in cubes
Bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- Put the red wine, garlic, bay leaves, salt and black pepper into a bowl.
- Add the sirloin cubes and toss them so that they are coated. Cover the bowl and leave to marinate in the fridge for 2-8 hours, the longer you leave them the stronger the flavours.
- Preheat the grill for a medium-high heat and lightly oil.
- Remove the sirloin from the marinade and place them on a skewer.
- Cook on the grill, 2-4 minutes per side.
Moroccan Kefta Briouate
450 g prepared kefta (or minced beef or lamb if you prefer)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, and more for serving
4 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
200 g filo pastry
1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350F). Warm a large pan over a medium heat and add in 1/2 tablespoon of butter and leave to melt.
- Cook the meat and cinnamon in the pan. Transfer the meat into a large bowl.
- In the same pan, add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and leave to melt. Beat the eggs and cook them in the pan until scrambled. Then put these eggs into the bowl of meat. Add seasoning.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan. Unroll the pastry and cut lengthways into 10cm by 30cm long rectangles. Use a sharp knife and keep the pastry from drying out by placing a damp cloth over the rectangles.
- Brush the pastry with the butter and fill. Roll from the short side over and pinch the ends.
- Transfer them onto a baking tray lined with parchment. Brush with egg yolk and put them in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm.