Today, the first match is Denmark against Austrailia, so if you want to try some new snacks to watch the games with, why not try these?
Denmarks Sour Cream and Banana Cake
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter
4 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175C (350F)
- Cream the brown sugar, butter, and 1 egg at a time together.
- Add the mashed bananas. flour, salt, baking soda, vanilla, walnuts and sour cream. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into greased cake tins and bake for 40 minutes. To test if the cake is cooked, using a metal skewer or butter knife, place in the middle and if it comes out clean it’s done.
- To make the icing: mix the butter, icing sugar and sour cream together, add the vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Once the cakes have cooled, add the icing, decorate with walnut and enjoy.
Australian Vegemite Beef Pies
80ml extra virgin olive oil
750 beef chuck steak
1 small onion
1 small carrot
1 celery stalk
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
2 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoon vegemite
2 tablespoon plain flour
2 sheet shortcrust pastry
2 sheet puff pastry
- Heat 30ml of the oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add half of the beef and brown. Repeat this process with the other half of the meat.
- Add the remaining oil and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for a further minute. Add the tomato paste, vegemite and 2 cups (500ml) of water.
- Return the meat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer for 45 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Leave to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan) and grease a 12-hole muffin pan and line the bases with baking paper.
- Cut 12 11cm circles from the shortcrust pastry.
- Cut 12 8cm circles from the puff pastry.
- Line the holes of the prepared muffin pan with the shortcrust pastry. Divide the meat mixture among the pastry cases and brush the edges with water. Place the puff pastry circles on top then using a fork, crimp the edges.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.